Hold the Phone - Another Secret Holder Lurks!
Suitably Flip has received a tip that another Senator, in addition to Ted Stevens, has a hold on S2590. This is contrary to the apparent resolution of this week's lengthy process of elimination, which seemed to successfully eliminate the 99 non-Stevens Senators, culminating with Stevens' acknowledgment of his identity as the secret holder.
The Capitol Hill source of this information contends that GOP leadership staff has indicated the second holder is a Democrat.
Here are the highlights of a detailed timeline that accompanied this information.
- August 4, 12:33am: GOP leadership staff states that at least one hold had been placed on the bill and that it will not pass before Congress adjourns for recess.
- August 16, 4:43pm: GOP leadership staff states that Sen. Stevens is the only hold on the Republican side.
- August 29, 6:57pm: GOP leadership staff states that at least one Democratic Senator placed a hold on S.2590.
- August 30, 3:27pm: GOP leadership staff again states that at least one Democratic Senator placed a hold on S.2590. Because the GOP and Democratic cloakrooms operate independently and operate under different rules, we do not know the identity of the Democratic Senator. However, if the information given to us by GOP leadership staff is correct, then Sen. Stevens is not the only hold.
In ruminating with Mary Katherine, we cooked up three possibilities to reconcile this information with the 44/44 denials by Democratic Senators' offices.
- A Democratic Senator (or a member of his or her staff) is lying.
- A Democratic Senator initiatied a hold very recently, after being pinged by a blogger but before Tuesday at 6:57 pm.
- One of the denials logged at TPMM or Porkbusters was based on a soft "Not that I know of" denial, which was upgraded to a firm "No" when catalogued.
If you live in a Senatorially blue or purple state, it's time to get back on the phone and not get off until you get a firm answer. If you get any static, refer them to the Majority Leader's directive for "all members, when asked by the blog community, to instruct their staff to answer whether or not they have a hold, honestly and transparently, so I can pass this bill."
I'll be ringing Chuck and Hillary in the morning.
Very tantalizing indeed. Stay tuned for updates.
During the exciting eliminat-o-rama earlier in the week, it was a Porkbusters reader named Angie who reported that "Senator Robert Byrd's office confirms that he is not the senator who placed the secret hold."
Angie. Aaaaangie. You can't say we're satisfied...
Handcrafted by Flip on August 31, 2006 |
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Hold the Phone - Another Secret Holder Lurks!:
Tracked on Aug 31, 2006 1:38:25 AM
» Secret Holder Roundup from Club for Growth
Mark Tapscott has an excellent roundup of the entire Secret Holder caper. It includes a detailed timeline too, which always makes for good story-telling. Stevens claimed he put the hold on Coburn's bill because he wanted to do a cost-benefit analysis f... [Read More]
Tracked on Aug 31, 2006 8:57:33 AM
» http://www.humanevents.com/rightangle/index.php?id=15930 from The Right Angle @ HumanEvents.com
The blogosphere is still abuzz following the confirmation that the suspected Sen. Ted Stevens (R.-Alaska) did indeed request that Senate leaders hold back the Coburn-Obama bill (S.2590) which would allow for more transparency in earmarking now that sou... [Read More]
Tracked on Aug 31, 2006 10:07:46 AM
» Porkbusters Wrapup: The Closer vs. Senator Stevens from Pursuing Holiness
Senator Ted Bridge to Nowhere Stevens is a uniter, not a divider. Bloggers from the left and right alike worked tirelessly together to apprehend him, and just when the suspense seemed too great to bear, he finally confessed. It was a Ky... [Read More]
Tracked on Aug 31, 2006 11:40:19 AM
» Participatory Politics from Anwyn's Notes in the Margin
I called the office of Senator Ron Wyden, D-OR, to ask whether he has placed a hold on S.2590, the bill that will show the public who and what is getting money from earmarks. Honestly, I expected No, he hasnt, and weve answered tha... [Read More]
Tracked on Aug 31, 2006 11:41:22 AM
Tracked on Apr 9, 2008 9:44:57 AM
Tracked on Apr 21, 2008 9:13:03 PM